The Centre of Excellence is a John Rylands University Library initiative to examine the demand for a regional Centre of Competence for Heritage Digitisation, embedded within the University of Manchester. We will establish partnerships with museums, libraries and archive repositories throughout the region, and beyond, to develop and test collaborative models for digitisation. The chief outcomes will be a feasibility study and a business plan for offering digitisation services to the heritage sector.
Our objectives are to:
- Explore and test various business models and practices with external partnerships and alliances;
- Achieve economies of scale by competitively marketing our services and expertise;
- Develop a strategy for continuation and long-term sustainability of digitisation activities;
- Embed digitisation into our institutional strategies and practices;
- Define best-practice for object-centred digitisation;
- Expand our existing on-line content by hosting related materials held by other institutions;
- Fulfil JISC, Library and University strategic goals.
This project has been funded by JISC (Joint Information Systems Committee) under the JISC Capital Content Initiative.